LSW Initial Application
In order to be approved to take the license examination, you must submit the following items:
- Application for Licensure;
- $25 non-refundable application fee;
- copy of your transcript showing you have graduated or are currently in your last term and are eligible to graduate
- you may have your faculty advisor submit the Faculty Advisor Reference Form indicating you are eligible to graduate in good standing.
Once the Board office receives these three items, you will be approved to take the Bachelor's examination. A letter of approval will be mailed to you with the information to schedule your exam time with ASWB, the testing agency. Included with your approval letter will be fingerprint cards and two forms you will be required to complete and submit with the appropriate fee to begin the criminal history background check process. You may submit the background check documents at any time, you do not have to wait to take the exam first.
The following forms and documents are required for an Initial Application:
- Online Application for Licensure – The $100 fee ($25 non-refundable application fee plus the $75 license fee) is payable by credit card.
- Application for Licensure (paper form) – The $25 non-refundable application fee can be paid by check or money order payable to NDBSWE. The $75 license fee may be paid with application submission in the same check or money order as the application fee or you may pay the $75 license fee at a later time.
- Reference forms – Reference forms should be completed by those you listed as references on your application. The Board does not accept personal letters written by your references. Reference forms are not required to be approved for the examination, but are required for licensure to be granted.
- Criminal History Background Check/Child Abuse and Neglect Background Inquiry – You will receive these forms with your testing approval letter. This does not need to be completed before you can take the examination. Once the completed forms and fee are received, it can take 2-3 weeks to get the results. Your license will not be issued until we have received the results! More information can be found here.
- ASWB Scores – The Board will receive your test scores directly from ASWB. It is not necessary to send us a copy of your test score. It may take up to 10 days for the Board to receive your score from ASWB.
- Official Transcript – Upon graduation, an official and final transcript must be sent directly from your college or university.
- License Fee – The Board requires a license fee of $75. This fee is paid online with your online license application. If you submitted a paper license application, please make the check or money order payable to NDBSWE; the fee can be paid at any time during the licensure process. Your license will not be issued until this fee is received.
Once all items are received, your license will be issued. Licenses are issued and the certificates are mailed on a weekly basis. If your application needs to be reviewed by the Board for any reason, your license will not be issued until the Board has reviewed and approved your application. All documentation (including ASWB test scores) must be received before the Board will review your application. Please review the Meeting Dates page for upcoming meeting dates.
Please read the more detailed application instructions before completing the application.