LCSW INITIAL APPLICATION (Clinical Level)
Please read this page carefully before completing the application to avoid delays in your licensure process.
Before 8/1/2019, this level was known as the LICSW level and may still be reflected as such on some forms and information as we work to update them. The LCSW is now the clinical level.
Once the Board office receives your completed application and your official transcript sent from the college, you will be approved to take the Clinical examination. If you are already licensed as a LMSW, you do not need to resubmit your transcript as we should already have it on file.
The following forms and documents are required for an Initial Application:
- Reference forms are not required for the LCSW level.
- Criminal History Background Check/Child Abuse and Neglect Background Inquiry – The background check is not required if you are already licensed as an LMSW. If you are not already licensed, you will receive these forms with your testing approval letter. This does not need to be completed before you can take the examination. Once the completed forms and fee are received, it can take 5-6 weeks to get the results. Your license will not be issued until we have received the results! More information can be found here.
- ASWB Scores – The Board must receive your test scores directly from ASWB. It may take up to 10 days for the Board to receive your score from ASWB. It is not necessary to send us a copy of your test score.
- Official Transcript – Upon graduation, an official and final transcript must be sent directly from your college or university. Once again, if you are upgrading from the LCSW level, you do not need to send a transcript.
- License Fee – The Board has a license fee of $75. Please make the check or money order payable to NDBSWE. The fee can be paid at any time during the licensure process. Your license will not be issued until this fee is received. If you are upgrading from the LMSW level, this fee is not required.
- Completion of the MSW Verification of Supervised Practice
- Completion of the MSW Verification of Employment
Once all items are received, your license will be reviewed by a Board member before being issued. This may take up to a week before being issued. License certificates are mailed on a weekly basis. Your license will not be issued until the Board member has reviewed and approved your application. All documentation (including ASWB test scores and background check results) must be received before your applicaiton will be reviewed. Typically, the Board member will make a decision on applications based on authority given to her by the Board. But if the Board needs to review your application, it will be done at a quarterly meeting. Please review the Meeting Dates page for upcoming meeting dates.
When you submit your application and your information is added to the Board's database, you may view your Applicaiton Status at anytime to keep updated on your license application. It is the responsibility of the applicant to keep updated on their application status. The Board does not send out emails about your application status. If you have any questions about your application, please email the Board office.