LCSW INITIAL APPLICATION (Clinical Level)
Please read this page carefully before completing the application for your LCSW licensure.
To initiate the LCSW licensure process, you will need to submit the following forms and documents to the North Dakota Board of Social Work Examiners (NDBSWE):
- Reference forms are not required for the LCSW level.
- Criminal History Background Check & Child Abuse and Neglect Background Inquiry – The background check is not required if you are already licensed as an LMSW. If you are not already licensed, you will receive these forms with your testing approval letter. This does not need to be completed before you can take the examination. Once the completed forms and fee are received, it can take 5-6 weeks to get the results. Your license will not be issued until we have received the results. More information can be found here.
- ASWB Scores – NDBSWE must receive your test scores directly from ASWB. It may take up to 10 days for NDBSWE to receive your score from ASWB. It is not necessary to send us a copy of your test score.
- Official Transcript – Upon graduation, an official and final transcript must be sent directly from your college or university. Once again, if you are upgrading from the LCSW level, you do not need to send a transcript.
- License Fee – The Board has a license fee of $75. Please make the check or money order payable to NDBSWE. The fee can be paid at any time during the licensure process. Your license will not be issued until this fee is received. If you are upgrading from the LMSW level, this fee is not required.
- Completion of the MSW Verification of Supervised Practice
- Completion of the MSW Verification of Employment
Once all items are received, your license will be reviewed by a Board member before being issued. Your license will not be issued until the Board member has reviewed and approved your application. All documentation (including ASWB test scores and background check results) must be received before your application will be reviewed. Typically, the Board member will make a decision on applications based on authority given to her by the Board. But if the Board needs to review your application, it may be done at a meeting. Please review the Meeting Dates page for upcoming meeting dates.
It is the responsibility of the applicant to keep updated on their application status and to ensure all required items are submitted to NDBSWE. You may view your Application Status to keep updated on your license application. If you have any questions about your application, please email the Board office.